LEGO® models for South Shields Museum’s Little Landmarks exhibition
How many landmarks can a little coastal town in North East England have?
Many, as it turns out! Bricks McGee were commissioned by Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums to design and build 11 LEGO® models of local landmarks of South Shields and the local area as part of a summer exhibition for South Shields Museum entitled Little Landmarks.
The landmarks built included:
- Herd Groyne Lighthouse – the iconic red lighthouse, a regional and national landmark
- Arbeia – the old Roman fort in the town. The site is now home to a reconstruction of the gates as they would have been in Roman times – well worth a visit!
- South Shields Old Town Hall
- South Shields Museum
- The Customs House – now a theatre and cultural venue
- The Word – the National Centre for The Written Word
- Souter Lighthouse – and now a National Trust property
- South Shields Volunteer Life Boat Service
The museum experienced an increase of around 25% in visitors over the summer period the exhibition was open, as well as plenty of coverage in local media – perfect for LEGO® fans of all ages!